Starting Essentials

The information provided here is a quick guide to get you started. Your School/Centre will have their own orientation procedures for your specific location. Please contact your Supervisor for more information.

Faculty Induction

The Faculty's HR Consultant will arrange a time to meet with each new staff member (salaried staff) to provide information on a number of issues related to employment at UNSW. You will be provided with a staff kit, which will help you to begin to access staff services. See Medicine Human Resources contacts

Information for non-salaried staff (Conjoints, Visiting, etc.) is provided in their letter of offer. If further assistance is required please contact the Faculty's Conjoint and Visiting HR Officer on

Staff ID Number

All staff are assigned a staff ID number when employment commences (prefixed by a 'z' e.g. z1234567). The Faculty's HR Consultant will provide you with this number, as part of your initial induction (for non-salaried staff this will be provided in your letter of offer). You use this zID as your UNSW Username to login to online services. If you forget or lose your staff ID number, you should contact one of the Faculty's HR consultants.

ID Card (Library and Room/Building Access)

Your staff ID Card is also a swipe access card (coded for access to secure rooms/buildings if required) and a library card. Conditions of borrowing can be found on the Library website.

Salaried Staff
New UNSW staff members are automatically added to the ID card system.

Staff ID cards are available from the Security and Traffic Management counter, located on Level 2, Mathews (Map Ref F23) between 8am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday. You should try to collect your ID card within your first week at UNSW.

Non-Salaried Staff
Non-salaried staff may be required by their work area to have a UNSW ID card. You will need an ID card if you intend to borrow from the UNSW Library.

Parking on Campus / Getting to UNSW

Staff may apply for a parking permit or use the metered parking around campus (at the listed cost). Any staff member parking on campus must do so in a recognised parking space. Parking in a non-parking area or remaining in a metered parking space after the meter has expired, will incur a NSW Government parking infringement notice. The Faculty will not support payment of any parking infringements from University funds under any circumstances. This applies to infringements that may be incurred by staff, students and any visitors to the campus.

IT Services and Support

UNSW IT Service Desk is a central UNSW support service for all staff and students.

Need Assistance - Log a call or email

Tel: (02) 9385 1333 (x51333)

More Information:


Online Access

You will need your UNSW Username (zID) and a zPass to access ALL University systems. Your zPass can be self-managed via the Identity Manager website.


On campus, staff with laptops and mobile devices can access the free UniWide wireless service. Eduroam is also available for use on campus or at participating national and international eduroam campuses. Also available at some of our hospital campuses.


You should be automatically allocated a UNSW email address. See on how to access your email using a mobile device or setting up your email client.

You can access your email from your UNSW desktop email client, online or alternatively redirect to an external email service.

Redirecting email - All email will be sent to your UNSW email address. If you are a conjoint staff member and prefer to read your UNSW emails from a different email system, you can redirect them to another email service. You can set this up via the Identity Manager website.

For assistance with any of these services please see the UNSW IT website

Health and Safety

Policies, Procedures and Guidelines

UNSW has a number of policies, procedures and guidelines. The list is available here on the UNSW Governance website

Please make yourself familiar with these policies. In particular:

Research Profiles

All academic researchers are able to create a research profile. For instructions, see Research Profiles

Support for New Teaching Staff

Are you a new teacher or looking for teaching support? For more information, see - Support for New Teachers