Our approach to diversity and inclusion is driven by the UNSW 2025 Vision.
From the Vice-Chancellor down, diversity and inclusion is considered essential to UNSW's continued success. To address this, the Medicine Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee (MEDIC) is committed to providing a supportive and equitable place of employment and education for all staff and students of UNSW Medicine without discrimination.
Chair: Louisa Jorm
The Faculty is working to address a number of priority areas in order to meet our vision for 2025.
|Low Socioecononomic Status||Silas Taylor|
|Disability||Valsamma Eapen and Marian Spencer|
|Cultural and Linguistic Diversity||Lisa Maher|
|Flexible Working and Leave||Caroline Meyer|
Terms of Reference
The terms of reference for MEDIC:
- oversee the implementation of the Faculty's Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Plan across the Faculty's Schools, Centres and Institutes;
- ensure that the Faculty's EDI Plan and the governance of MEDIC supports UNSW's 2025 Strategy and aligns to the objectives of the UNSW EDI Board;
- identify actions and initiatives to help achieve the Faculty's EDI targets;
- evaluate progress towards achieving EDI goals, strategies, targets and evidencing best practice;
- provide a forum for discussion of EDI issues and ideas within the Faculty; and
- contribute to the communication and reinforcement of shared values around EDI to support a culture of inclusiveness within the Faculty.
|Chair||Professor Louisa Jorm|
|Dean||Professor Rodney Phillips|
|Faculty Executive Director||Jonathan Pheasant|
|Faculty HR Business Partner||Caroline Meyer|
Valsamma Eapen, Psychiatry
Craig Smith, South Western Sydney
|Student Representatives||Roshana Kanagarathau, Postgraduate
Eleanor Hall, Undergraduate
|Secretariat||Marianne Colbert, EDI UNSW Medicine|
|Ex-Officio||Julie Thoms, Women in Research Network|
Faculty Champions will be appointed for a two year initial term. At the expiration of these initial appointments, half of the Champions will be reappointed for an additional term.
Members should have an appointment or be enrolled at UNSW for the term of their appointment.
Number of members: Up to 20
Quorum: 50% + 1
Executive support/Secretariat to be provided by a nominated member of the Faculty.
Meetings and Attendance
MEDIC will meet six times per year. Committee members are strongly encouraged to attend these meetings. Proxies are acceptable.
From time to time, MEDIC may establish working groups, involving staff and students from across the Faculty, to focus on specific areas of opportunity and/or concern. Leads nominated from MEDIC will be responsible for the coordination of meetings, membership and reporting on the activities of the working groups at each committee meeting.
MEDIC is to report on its activities to Faculty Board and the UNSW EDI Board.
- Wednesday 10th October 2018
- Wednesday 12th December 2018
- Wednesday, 6th March 2019
- Wednesday, 17 April 2019
- Wednesday, 7 August 2019
- Wednesday, 9 October 2019
- Wednesday, 11 December 2019
Equity at UNSW Medicine
- Equity at UNSW Medicine
- Medicine EDI Plan
- Gender Equity
- Low Socioeconomic Status
- Cultural and Linguistic Diversity