Induction Day Resources (Day 1)
This page archives the most recent content from the Induction Day - for use by attendees or those staff unable to attend.
Session 1: INTRO: Intro: Overview of Faculty Teaching
Facilitators: Prof Philip Jones, Dr Rachel Thompson
Session 2: THEORY/SKILLS: Health and Safety in Teaching
Facilitator: Gregory Maxwell
- Health and Safety Presentation Notes - July 2016
- New Teaching Staff: SOMS
You are responsible for the safety of students during your lecture/workshop.
Refer to the UNSW Emergency Procedures flipchart, which should be available in all teaching spaces. This provides guidance on action to take in various emergency situations e.g. fire, medical, power outage, personal threat, evacuation.
You should be aware of the building assembly point for all locations where you teach: To find out the location of the assembly point, refer to the Emergency Procedures Poster on display in the relevant building, or refer to the building assembly points map located on the Emergency Management Webpage.
In case of emergency call the UNSW emergency number (02) 938 56666
Session 3: THEORY/SKILLS: Introduction to learning & teaching
Facilitator: Dr Rachel Thompson
- Introduction to Learning and Teaching - R Thompson, Feb 19
- Jaques, D (2003) ABC of learning and teaching in medicine. BMJ 326: 492
Session 4: THEORY/SKILLS: Small group teaching
Facilitator: Silas Taylor
Session 5: THEORY/SKILLS:Other teaching styles and activities
Facilitator: Rachel Thompson
- Teaching and learning styles - Feb 19 - See session 1
Session 6: TOOLS: Library resources
Facilitator: Wolf Villalta, Peter Smith
- Library Videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvW1evjftfvmc4MO7hQ4MswzueK5Bc_3q
- Library services for teaching support: https://www.library.unsw.edu.au/teaching
- Library Presentation Notes - Feb 19
- Library Handout - June19
Session 7: TOOLS: The How To Guide to eMed and the UNSW TELT Platform
Facilitator: Suzanne Mobbs
Facilitator Induction Day Resources (Day 2)
**Important: Documents to be read prior to Facilitating**
Session 1 - INTRO: Orientation to Phase 1 of the Medicine Program
Facilitators: Karen Gibson
- Facilitation Introduction - Karen Gibson - Feb 19
Session 2 - SKILLS: Scenario Group Facilitation
Facilitator: Dr Chinthaka Balasooriya
- McNeil, H. P., Scicluna, H. A., Boyle, P., Grimm, M. C., Gibson, K. A. & Jones, P. D. (2012). Successful development of generic capabilities in an undergraduate medical education program. Higher Education Research & Development, 31, 525-539.
- Balasooriya, C., di Corpo, S. & Hawkins, N.J. (2010) The facilitation of collaborative learning: what works?. Higher Education Management and Policy. 22 (2) 1-14
- Azer, D. (2005). Challenges facing PBL tutors: 12 tips for successful group facilitation. Medical Teacher.27(8)676-681
Videos of Facilitating now available: (staff number and zpass required)