UNSW Medicine Teaching Awards
UNSW Medicine is committed to providing a working environment focused on excellence where employees are able to reach their full potential and develop their career. Medicine prides itself on the calibre of its staff In 2018 we bring together the Faculty’s Teaching and Research Awards to recognise and reward the outstanding and valuable contributions by staff to education, research and professional services.
The UNSW Medicine Awards
UNSW Medicine recognises great teaching and research on an annual basis by presenting the following categories of awards:
- Award for Excellence in Enhancing the Student Experience (Professional & Technical Staff)
- Award for Excellence in Professional Support Services (Professional & Technical Staff)
- Award for Excellence in Educational Design or Development (All Staff)
- Award for Teaching Excellence (Casual or Sessional Staff)
- Award for Teaching Excellence (Early Career Academic Staff)
- Award for Teaching Excellence (Conjoint Academic Staff)
- Award for Teaching Excellence (Academic Staff)
- Award for Teacher of the Year
Note that you can also nominate for UNSW Research Awards (as appropriate):
- Award for Research Excellence (Early Career Academic Staff)
- Award for Research Excellence (Conjoint Academic Staff)
- Award for Excellence in Postgraduate Research Supervision (Academic / Conjoint Academic Staff)
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Research by a Higher Degree Student
- Award for Research Excellence (Academic Staff)
- Award for Researcher of the Year
2018 Nominations are now closed.
The award presentation will be on Friday 7th December at 1pm in WW LG03.
The Nomination Process:
- Download the information and nomination form (note: revised 2018): Application Form in PDF or Application Form in Word Doc
- Nominations are judged by faculty nominated academic panels.
- Awardees are announced and presented with their certificates at the UNSW Medicine Learning and Teaching Forum in December of each year, UNSW Kensington campus.
Please note that the Dean's Awards are not running this year (2018).
Award Nominations open in Semester 2 of each year.
If you are interested in applying in the future, it is advisable to start early (e.g. the year before) to:
- Collect feedback from students and colleagues during the year - use formal and informal evaluation methods
- Draft and seek feedback on the nomination criteria (see forms and instructions provided here)
- Approach your head of department and head of school early for support and advice
- Secure an official letter of support from your head of school or similar (eg convenor or head of department) - this is necessary for all nominations.
Key tips for success:
- Check with your head of school or department which award you should nominate for
- Stick to the instructions and answer the appropriate crtieria carefully and concisely
- Use recent evidence to support the nomination - choose a few of the best of the following: feedback from myExperience, informal and/or formal evaluation comments from students and collleagues, examination or assessment results
- Ask a colleague to read through the nomination - to advise on content, clarity and to proof read.
For more information or assistance, please contact your Department Head / Head of School, or email Dr Rachel Thompson, firstname.lastname@example.org